What are negative calorie foods and what does it mean? Actually, there is no such thing as a negative calorie food, since the calorie as a unit of heat cannot be negative. But when you hear people talk about negative calorie foods, it only means that the calorie level of the food is so low that it requires more energy to eat and digest it than how much calorie it contains. Negative calorie foods are also known as fat burning foods.
For example, celery is a negative calorie food. It does not contain enough calories to be able to digest it, so it takes energy from the body in order for it to be fully digested. Cold water has a negative calorie, too. Although water is a drink, you can consider it as a kind of food. Water has no calories at all and when you drink cold water, the body would need much more energy to bring it up to body temperature. So each time we drink a glass of cold water we burn up a little more calories and lose a little weight. But foods like this should be taken in moderation, and should be used wisely.
Anorexics are usually attracted to negative calorie foods. If used inappropriately, a negative calorie diet would result in starvation and nutritional deficiencies. The calories used to burn negative calorie foods will be taken from the body’s muscle mass, and in effect will be really harmful to your health.
It is more healthy to use a negative calorie diet by fasting or detox. You can do this type of detox diet right after the Christmas holidays or Thanksgiving or after eating so many rich foods. You can do your negative calorie diet for three days or so. It is an excellent way to clean out your body’s system. However, you should still get a doctor’s advice before starting this type of diet plan.
Do remember the following pointers once you decide on a negative calorie detox diet:
1. Never eat big quantities of one type of food, especially fruits. Some fruits contain substances that are bad to your body if you eat too much of it. For example, grapefruit and pineapple can damage your stomach lining. Other foods can cause diarrhea or burden your liver. It is better to eat all the different foods in small quantities.
Some examples of negative calorie fruits are: Apples, Blueberries, Cantaloupes, Cranberries, Grapefruit, Papayas, Pineapples, Prunes, Raspberries, Strawberries and Tangerines.
2. Never spend all day eating. You will only become bloated and feel unwell. You should plan four or five salad meals every day, and let your digestive system rest in between.
3. Try to eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly. You will use more calories that way. It is also better to eat the foods raw. Foods like carrots and beets will also be more satisfying if you grate them.
Some examples of negative calorie vegetables are: Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery stalk, Celery root, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Endives, Garden cress, Green beans, Green cabbage, Lamb’s lettuce, Lettuce, Radishes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnips and Zucchini.
4. Be aware that fasting or any kind of detox diet, there may be some uncomfortable symptoms such as headaches, tiredness, depression and irritability. If the syptoms become worse, stop the detox diet and see your doctor immediately.
5. At the end of your negative calorie detox diet, you should gradually return to a normal diet and eat normal foods.
Garlic and onions are also examples of fat burning foods. If you want to lose 9 lbs in 7 days, then get the list of 110 Fat Fighting Foods which are guaranteed to burn your stubborn fat quickly. Visit their website now and start losing that fat!
If you are a mom like me, then you might be interested to know how to lose your baby fat from pregnancy. I highly recommend the Fit Yummy Mummy weight loss program designed for moms. Just visit the site for more information.
By the way, be sure to also check out the latest weight loss pills online.